I was grumpily walking to an appointment (physical therapy week 8 is wearing on me), when I heard a little girl singing that perfect smile inducing song. Her voice merrily chirped "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens..." and I suddenly found a spring in my step.
It got me thinking about lists - favorite things, inspiring things - and just how freeing it can be to remind yourself of all the ways you can tap into this great big world to re-find some fire! Because when the dog bites or the bee stings (which in my case is nearly fatal) - simply remembering those things does actually help!
So here's my list:
1) Sunrise, the sun at noon, the sun as it sets. Anything that has to do with that big revolving globe of warmth totally does it for me.
2) Powerful women. Whether it's my darling burlesque troupe, my classmates, my few best friends, or my co-producers - nothing is more exciting than being surrounded by a passionate and powerful group of women who together are working towards a goal.
3) I get super turned on by artists, creators, inventors! People who wake up still dreaming about what they might create today, and actually try and do it. So I guess this means, I love the artistic do-ers. Bring em on!
4) The unexpected - inspiration when it jumps out and shouts - HEY THERE! Like yesterday, driving along Santa Monica boulevard I nearly rear-ended the car in front of me when I saw the Warhol posters of Chanel No 5 hanging in a gallery. HEY THERE! The world is listening.
5) There is nothing better than singing at top volume in my car - my own private performance of everything I'm feeling. Whether it's my girl P!nk, Gaga, Adele, K'naan or that one song by Carbon Leaf - Life Less Ordinary... positive pick me ups can make a day.
6) Waves, Seaweed, Pelicans, and Sand between my toes, in my shoes, on my towels, and dirtying the entry of my home. The ocean in all its confusing powerful glory is pretty much the most calming and inspiring presence I can find.
7) Favorite Places: Santa Croce in Florence, the secret vineyard and nearby cemetery in Marmont, beneath the Santa Monica Pier, The middle of the Charles Bridge in Prague - in the rain, the top of Victoria Peak hiking trails in Hong Kong also in the rain, the gardens in Potsdam, the Marina in SF at night, and sixty feet under water diving with sea lions.
So what are your favorite things? What inspires you and why? Make a list. Read it when you are grumpy. Be selfish and don't pretend it's "giving" that works for you. It may, but we all have little moments we remember where we felt at ease. Remind yourself of these moments and maybe even sing a little song!
Oh yeah, and I also definitely love whiskers on kittens!
Have a great weekend kids, Naked with Chanel No: 5